Does the library have screen readers for students to use to read PDFs?
- Kurzweil 3000 is a screen reading software that works pretty well with PDFs. The company has made it freely available to everyone at this time. Here's their website.
- Tips for reducing eye strain when reading text on a screen:
- Where possible, use serif fonts. Adjust your screen to be zoomed in, or adjust the font size to 14pt or more.
- Consider strong task lighting, even/especially if your screen is backlit.
- Most operating systems have a "night mode" with some/all blue light filtered out. The "warmth" of these screens is supposed to be easier to handle, especially long term.
- Where possible, read on e-ink (ereaders) rather than backlit screens.
- As always, take frequent breaks--try to focus on medium-to-long-range views for ~5 minutes out of every ~30 minutes spent in close-range reading.
Was this helpful?