Q. How do I install ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) version 10.x?
- Check that your computer will run ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) using the system requirements provided by Esri.
- Full installation instructions are available from Esri's support site.
- MacOS users are reminded that ArcMap only runs in a Windows environment.
- Users with Windows 64-bit operating systems should note that ArcMap was designed for a Windows 32-bit operating system. However, some background geoprocessing can use 64-bit processors. After installing the main software package, you can install ArcGIS for Desktop Background Geoprocessing (64-bit).
- Download the ArcGIS Desktop software from the Library's website. Save the file to an easy-to-find location, such as your Desktop.
- The main installer will be found in the ArcGIS 10.x > Required directory, with the file name beginning "1. ArcGIS_Desktop_10xx" and ending in ".exe"
- After the file is downloaded, double-click on the icon. The installer will ask for a destination folder for files. Unless you prefer another location, agree to the default location.
- Click the Next button.
- After extracting, the program will indicate that installation files have been successfully extracted to your computer. Leave the check box selected and click the Close button.
- The setup program starts. Click the Next button.
- Review the license agreement. Select the "I accept the master agreement" option and click the Next button.
- Select a Complete installation and click Next.
- If you wish to install ArcGIS in a different location than the default, click the Change button and navigate to the desired location in the resulting file explorer. In most cases, the default location is appropriate. Click the Next button.
- The installer will indicate that it needs to install the Python scripting language to support ArcGIS. If you wish to install Python in a different location than the default, click the Change button and navigate to the desired location in the resulting file explorer. In most cases, the default location is appropriate. Click the Next button.
- Click Install to begin the installation. Note that the installation may take a significant amount of time - perhaps more than 30 minutes.
- The setup program will indicate when the installation is complete. Click the Finish button to complete the software installation portion of setup.
- ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) may now need to be authorized in order to run. Authorization instructions are available from the Library.
Additional software is available for ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) version 10.x. This can be downloaded from the same location as the main installer. This software includes:
- ArcGIS Coordinate Systems Data for Windows
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability for Desktop
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer for Desktop
- ArcGIS Desktop Offline Tutorial Data
Install additional software packages only after installing and authorizing ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap).